Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Art of Self Promotion

      Wow, November is just about over.  I barely even remember it starting, but it's been a crazy busy month with art related deadlines and day jobs filling up my schedule.  A few more weeks, and I'll be adding cookie baking into my agenda.  Oh yes, I am a Christmas cookie baking fiend ;)

I even designed a cute cookie themed baking apron.
You can buy it here.





      A lot of this month has involved working on self promotion because part of getting myself established as a full time artist means getting myself out there and noticed.  This has
always been a difficult challenge for me, as I'm not the type to go up and just talk to people, least of all about myself.  It's not that I'm not able to talk to people.  I'm actually quite the conversationalist when I want to be, but in typical introvert fashion, it can be a draining activity (not to mention I'm sometimes shy).  I also have a habit of being "too nice," whatever the hell that means.  Maybe I back down too quickly?


You sure you don't want to buy a baking apron?





      Anyway, I've been really digging into a number of ways to further put my work out there.  Maybe some of you reading this have found yourself in a similar position.  If you're hard pressed for ideas on how to get your work known because you're too anxious to go cold turkey and work a room at the next convention, here's a few ideas to get you started.

Plug in and make the internet work for you - Are you surprised?  Probably not, but if you are, then yes, get online.  Get a website up.  A blog.  A facebook page.  Heck, there are plenty of websites that let you promote yourself for free.  Of course, you will have to help people find you among everyone else out there, but the bigger you make your web footprint, the more likely people will find you.  This is where social media comes in handy.

Even if you're one of those people who never looks at facebook *cough* me *cough*, that doesn't mean there aren't millions of other people looking at it.  And if you hang out on forums or other online communities, post a link to your work in your signature (providing the forum's rules allow you to).  And you don't need to stop at one website.  You may have noticed my multiple links at the top right of the page.  Get out there and share, share, share.

Competitions and art shows - Ah yes, the bulk of my busy November schedule (and probably the next few months) involved preparing work for juried art shows.  Do a search for "call for art" postings, and you'll find lots of options.  These can be local, statewide, countrywide or even international competitions and are a great way for people to see your art work and maybe even buy it.  Often times there are entry fees, but sometimes there aren't (which can be great if you're on a budget).  Just be sure to read all the rules and stipulations before handing your work over, as the "fine print" may cost you more than what you hoped for.  Check out the article "Can You Loose by Entering a Free Art Contest?  Yes!" on the Light, Space, and Time Online Art Gallery to learn more about what to watch out for.  Oh yes, and if you're wondering, that is one of the galleries I will be competing in.  Wish me luck. ;)

Charity - Sometimes it's easier to get out there and promote yourself when you couple it with something else you're passionate about.  For me that something is animals, and since that's what I specialize in painting it was a no brainer.  Donate some of your time and talents to a cause you care about.  In my case the cat painting you see in my blog banner was done to help a local cat rescue organization.  Not only did they get a nice donation when the painting sold, but they were a big help in promoting my work, and I felt good that I was able to help a few more furry friends.

Bartering with your local businesses - Wait, bartering?  That involves talking to people.  Yes, yes it does, but it's not as bad as you might be picturing.  Allow me to elaborate.  There are lots of offices and businesses out there with blank walls.  All I have to do is go into one and ask if they'd like some artwork to hang on their walls.  The catch?  Allow me to keep some business cards there so that any prospective customers can be directed my way.  The extent of your interactions basically involves walking in, asking for the manager/owner and explaining your offer.  They get artwork for their walls for an agreed on period of time, and you get free advertising.  See?  Bartering.  One service for another, and you only had to talk to one person.  Of course, the more promotion you want, the more people you will have to go to, but the best part is that you can control the number of interactions and not feel overwhelmed like you would in a room full of people.

Now not all businesses will agree to this exchange.  Larger, corporate run businesses, for one, have policies that run so far up the chain that the store in your area might not be allowed to help you out.  It never hurts to ask, but don't take it personal if they tell you "no."  Smaller businesses are usually a better target for this kind of promotion since they have a lot more flexibility.  It's not a bad idea to target businesses that your work compliments.  For example, since I specialize in animal art, I would go to a vet's office over a doctor's office.  Not only would my art compliment the business, but there's a higher chance that the clientele would want to buy my art.  It helps to do a little research before hand and make a list of potential places before setting out on your advertising quest.  Also, I don't usually offer my original artwork, rather, I make reasonably priced prints which I then frame and bring with me.  This way, if something does happen to the artwork, I'm not loosing a $300, $400, $500 painting.  It does cost a little money, but the added security is worth it.  Okay, so maybe it's not totally free advertising, but if you choose places with high potential, it'll be worth it.

Maybe I'll finally sell a baking apron.






      There are lots of other ways one can go out and promote their work, but these are the few I've been focusing on at present.  The best thing about some of these is that they'll also help you build your networking skills and ability to talk about your work.  Just know, the more effort you put into it, the better you're chances of finding new clients will be.


Taurus Zodiac Mug
Okay, you don't want the apron.  How about a nice coffee mug instead?
I have lots to choose from. ;)


Hee hee...  'Till next time.  <3




No comments:

Post a Comment